CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Speaking of the Olympics...

**Spoiler Alert--if you don't know the results of the women's gymnastics team finals, DO NOT read this.**
I'm watching an average of 17.5 hours of Olympic coverage per day this week. Mostly gymnastics, with some swimming, diving and equestrian thrown in for good measure. China is apparently ahead of the US in the medal count now. I don't know for sure, but I think the US usually comes away from the Olympics with more medals than any other country. China is really asserting itself as a sports superpower. But I don't think they are playing fair. Case in point:

1. Cute girl singing during the opening ceremony. Remember her? Well, she was actually lip syncing, because the little girl who was actually singing had a good voice but was just not cute enough. Come on, she a little Asian girl. She's adorable.

2. Firework during the opening ceremony. Some of them were digitally inserted into the broadcast. Reportedly, the Chinese officials were concerned that the cameras would not be able to capture the awesomeness of their pyrotechnics well enough, so they doctored the video.

3. 16-year-old Chinese gymnasts. Yeah, right! Did you see them?! My bet is 12, 13 years old, tops. But they won the team gold, so the end justifies the means, I guess.

**Spoiler Alert #2--If you don't know the results of the women's all-around final, DON'T read the comments!** I'm just saying...you can if you want to know that the winner was....j/k But seriously, you need to watch it already, because it was awesome. I don't know why you didn't just watch it live. I mean it didn't go that long, just like 1:30 am. Come on, it's not like you have to go to work...oh wait, you have to go to work, but I don't. Sorry.

4 comments:

Gilbert Family said...

Yeah, those chinese are a little shady right now! It's amazing to me that they actually think we all believe those gymnasts are 16?? I saw on the internet today that some guy is doing a full investigation on it so hopefully they will get caught!! I hate it when people cheat to win!! and I didn't know about the little girl singing in the opening ceremony...that makes me so mad. If I were a parent of the little girl that actually sang, I would have said NO WAY!!

Hooray for the Nastia and Shawn for taking gold and silver...that was exciting! We are lacking sleep here cause we have been obsessed with watching it too.

Wendy said...

I know! I'm sooo tired, but I just have to stay up to watch because otherwise I'll just look up on the internet who won without actually watching it. And that just takes the fun out of it.

I'm so glad Nastia won. I just like her style a little more, but Shawn did awesome too. Go USA!

C Harker said...

I'm so glad I got to watch the team finals and the all-around finals! They were good even if the Chinese all-around gymnastics were getting ridiculously high scores...it wasn't enough for then to win though, ha! I like Nastia's style more too. She is very elegant and powerful at the same time. That takes talent!

C Harker said...

That last comment was from Kim...and so is this one. oops!